- INSEN's pregnancy pillow is by far the most popular choice among Amazon customers and that is for good reason. The pillow is filled with soft cotton that offers great comfort while allowing you to choose from six different colors!
- A popular choice at Amazon.
- Available in 6 different colors.
- Soft cotton filling adapts to back and belly while providing a soft touch that is comforting.
- Convenient to unpack and wash.
- The pillow might be skinnier than it looks in the photo according to some complaints
- Susceptible to tears after a period of time.
- The pillow has flattened quickly for a small minority of users.
- PharMeDoc is known for its pregnancy pillows and it was bound to make it to our list. This C-shaped pillow comes in four different colors and one of those colors even includes a free travel bag to go with the pillow! Comes with free shipping.
- Includes travel bags but not available with all colors.
- Available in 4 different colors.
- C-shaped, allowing it to be used for relaxing during any passive activity.
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- Travel bag not available with all the colors.
- Might flatten after a few weeks of usage.
- Worth checking out beforehand if they product works for your height and body dimensions.
- The original Snoogle had to make out top 4 list!. Its design was developed and patented by a registered nurse and is today available in three different colors. The cover is machine washable and can be put on and removed with ease.
- Available in 3 different colors.
- Replicates the effect of multiple pillows to provide comfort to the body.
- Comes with a removable cover that can be washed in a washing machine
- Patented design developed by a female nurse.
- Most expensive in our review.
- Filled with regular pillow fillings and not micro pearls.
- No dust mite resistant version of the product is available.
- Another PharMeDoc pregnancy pillow rounds off our top 4 list with a unique U-shaped pillow that is available in 9 different colors. It comes in both full body and detachable versions giving you the comfort you desire.
- Available in an exciting variety of 9 different colors.
- Available both in detachable and solid body versions.
- The pillow is multi-purpose and can be effectively used by anybody looking for a comfortable rest.
- U-shaped maternity pillow.
- Some complaints that the pillow isn't very comfortable and flatter than expected.
- The positioning of the zipper can be uncomfortable and for some ruin the experience completely.
Benefits of Pregnancy Pillows
As your body shape changes with pregnancy, so does the need to support different parts of the body to prevent aches and pain especially around the neck and lower back areas. A full-body pregnancy pillow is specially made to help ease the suffering which gets worse with time. To make the best of the pillow, you should lie in the half fetal position, aligning your knees and hips which helps in relieving pressure on the spine, back and hips. This should improve the body’s overall alignment. The comfort that comes from that is a game changer. No wonder expectant mothers swear by their pillows!
Helps in Blood Circulation
Pregnant women are advised by health professionals to sleep on their sides as opposed to sleeping directly against their belly. It is believed that sleeping in this position helps encourage the baby to get in the optimal position for birth while also having a positive effect on the circulation of blood. However, with an ever growing belly due to the baby’s rapid development, this position is pretty uncomfortable for many. To provide the necessary support and to alleviate the pressure on the body, pregnant women can tuck a properly cushioned and soft pillow between their knees, or if they so wish, beneath their baby bump. The added comfort generated by the pillows softness certainly goes a long way.
Longer, Quality Sleep
Lots of pregnant women suffer from back pains and leg cramps which makes it difficult for them to get quality sleep especially in the latter stages of the pregnancy. Sleeping positions become limited as the baby grows and the resulting discomforts make it uneasy to fall sleep. However, using the right pregnancy pillow can help ease the discomforts, resulting in longer hours of much need rest. They help the body get into the therapeutic deep sleep state commonly known as REM sleep. The prolonged hours of your shut-eye moments have tremendous benefits for you and your little one. Also, it is easy to adjust these pillows to the abdomen or the parts that require cushioning for a better sleep.
For many pregnant women, discomfort is inevitably a part and parcel of the entire process. Again, this is especially experienced in the latter stages. However, a good maternity pillow can help cushion the body which helps in relaxing and unwinding. Using a pregnancy pillow ensures you don’t end up lying on your belly which is not only uncomfortable, but also potentially dangerous. The pillows can be easily re-positioned meaning they can be used when watching television or when just relaxing at home with friends or family. Ultimately, the comfort that comes with sleeping pillows should present a wonderful solution to all the discomforts of pregnancy including prevention of leg cramps, back pain, and hip aches among others.
Choosing the Best Pillow
How to Choose a Pregnancy Pillow
Good news for expectant mothers is that there are plenty of options to pick from when it comes to choosing the best maternity pillow. While it ultimately comes down to your specific needs, the following are some of the things to look out for when deciding the best pregnancy pillow.
Fabric: Be sure to check the pillow covers for cleaning instructions. Many pillows have removable covers, but they are made from different fabrics (cotton, organic cotton, jersey knit, polyester knit etc.) and it is advisable to go for the easier to wash and dryer friendly fabrics.
Size: pregnancy pillows come in a wide range of sizes. Some are only slightly bigger than the ordinary pillow while others are big enough to hug you front to back. The one you pick depends with the size of your bed and how much room you are willing to give up in bed among other factors.
Fillings: just like regular pillows, maternity pillows come with different fillings (air, wool, Polyester fibers etc.) While a softer pillow may be more appealing, it is advisable to choose a firmer pillow as it stays in shape for longer.
Price: a good pregnancy pillow can set you back at least $20 to $30. However, higher end pillows can cost over $100 and price is definitely a factor to consider when picking what best works for you.
Tips to improve sleep during pregnancy
Getting quality sleep sounds almost impossible for many pregnant women. Studies have shown that over 70% of expectant mothers report disturbed sleep. As if frequent visits to the bathroom, chronic back aches, and uncomfortable sleeping positions were not already a bother, pregnant women have to deal with sleep disorders (including insomnia and sleep apnea). Having difficulties getting that rest you crave? The following tips can help.
Stay away from caffeine after lunch
Caffeine is a stimulant that can have multiple negative effects on your sleep pattern. Not only does it keep you awake past bed time, once you do fall asleep, it can disrupt your sleep throughout the night. Limit your caffeine intake to the mornings to give your body ample time to get the stimulant out of your system.
Avoid electronic devices
It is advisable to avoid using your phone, tablet, or computer at least an hour before bedtime. These gadgets produce a light that inhibits the sleep-inducing hormone melatonin.
Exercising especially in the early parts of the day and generally staying active can help you sleep better. A 30-minute walk every day, yoga, or a swim is highly recommended.
Make your room dark
Before hopping to bed, make sure your room is as dark as possible. Cover your windows with heavy/dark curtains and switch off all bulbs and electronics that might glow.
Establish a calming bedtime routine
Some of the recommended bedtime routines that can have profound effects on the quality of your sleep include reading a pleasant book, listening to soothing music, or taking a warm shower.
The Four Best Method
What We Do . . .
We started Four Best on the premise that a great deal of the information required to properly evaluate a given product is already right in front of your (and our) eyes. In fact there is too much information! A crucial skill necessary to picking the best products is instead the ability to cull through the available information, focusing on what should really drive a purchase decision.
To make those crucial determinations as to what matters and what doesn’t, we begin by thinking through what really matters to us when we use a particular product. We then use the that type of product to further refine the features we care about and that we think you will care about too. Next we search the web, looking to manufacturer’s websites, product specifications, consumer reports, expert blogs, research reports and the like to obtain crucial insights and the facts.
Finally, we distill the results of our research and combine it with our own experiences as consumers, professionals, techies, mothers, fathers, hobbyists, designers, software engineers, attorneys (sorry) and more. Ultimately, this process results in the reviews we present to you. We hope you enjoy!